When it comes to hair growth genetic do play a role , there are other factors also that can contribute to hair growth, e.g. your diet, weather,age, sex ,pollution and your overall approach to hair care. Wikipedia defines hair as a protein filament and according to research hair grows 1/2 inches per month on average that’s a total of 6 inches per year. The main purpose of hair is to protect the body and keep it warm. Everyone’s hair is different,how you maintain it will determine the health of your hair, and it is important to know what works for you,I am currently on a relaxed hair journey, i have had many set backs in the past , this is because i wasn’t paying much attention to my hair than i do now, i will try and do before and after pictures on my next post to show you how far i have come on my hair journey, it is ok for your hair to shed sometimes, the important part is finding a regime that works best for your hair.
There are many ways that can promote hair growth, i am going to give just 10 of them.
- Good nutrition is an important part of healthy hair growth, this is because the root part of the hair receives the nutrient from the blood. Adopting a healthy diet containing fruits, vegetables,grains and a good amount of fat, specific food that can promote hair growth include, Fish; this contain essential omega-3 fatty acid, protein, vitamins, iron etc all of which prevent a dry scalp and stop hair from looking dull. Legumes: these are full of proteins which promote hair growth. Biotin: a biotin deficiency can lead to brittle hair, hair loss, whole grain, liver, egg yoke, soy flour all contain biotin.
- Give your hair a trim at least every 6-8 weeks, to get rid of all the dead ends
- Moisturising and Conditioning your hair, a good hair care routine a proper moisturising conditioner
- Natural Oils– In cooperating oils such as coconut oil will help soften and aids in your hair growth,Caster oil also is good for maintaining growth, jojoba oil, olive oil, rosemary oil, argan oil helps prevent hair loss etc all helps to promote hair growth. You only needs a few drop of essential oil.
- Protein Treatment: if you have fine natural hair protein treatment is good to protect your hair stand, there are many protein base products out there, if you happen to be out of stock as due to this pandemic most shops are close, there are natural protein ingredients you can find at home to treat you hair e.g add 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil or any oil of your choice with avocado or egg yoke, mix together and apply unto your hair, cover with a plastic cup for about 20 mins and rinse with cold water, apply this once a month. it helps replenish the keratin bond that the sun attacks.
- Brush hair from bottom up, now this might sound not necessary , but wrongfully detangling hair can cause a lot of hair shedding.
- Avoid too much heat in your hair, preferably towel dry after wash or use heat protectant whenever you apply heat,too much heat will get rid of the protein in your hair needed for hair growth.
- Sleep on silk pillow case or use satin or silk scarf, silk help prevent breakage and tangle in hair while you sleep at night.
- Always use odd cotton T-shirt to dry your hair, towel can be harsh on your hair and cause breakage
- Moisturise and seal at night, now this is very important if you are relaxed, it helps protect your ends from splitting or drying.
Keep your hair moisturise, protect your beautiful natural hair, your hair is your crown own and take care of it. 1 Corinthians 11 :15 ” And isn’t long hair a woman’s pride and joy? For it has been given to her as covering.